Mass APA Pool League
Bylaws for years 2016-2017
PO Box 271,
Jewett City, CT, 06351
Operator: Jamey Gray
1. Office Hours: 1:00 pm – 8:00 pm, Mon-Fri. If you call and get our recording, please leave your name, number, and a short message and someone will get back to you. If you have a question during League play, please contact the Division Rep listed on your scoresheet.
2. Annual Membership Dues – All players must be current APA Member in order to play an APA sanctioned match including playoffs and tournaments from previous session and also including the first match they play of the new calendar year. Annual membership dues are due prior to playing your first match. Scoresheets identify illegal players with a “N” next to their player number. Playing an illegal player without including their membership fee WILL result in one of the following. 1) The individual player’s match will be converted to a forfeit and the player will be dropped from the team. 2) Your entire team will receive zero points for the week they played an illegal player.
3. Weekly Team Fees: There is a @45.00 per week ($55.00 for payback leagues) team fee for all scheduled matches regardless of forfeits, including playoff matches. There is no charge for byes, with the exception of the payback Leagues, which pay $10.00 on these nights. All fees must be current for any team or player to enter any post season playoffs, or team tournaments (including Second Chance, Tri-Cups, and LTC) or any singles or doubles tournaments run by the APA league.
4. Checks: please make checks out to the Northeast Ma. APA Pool League. There will be a $20.00 charge for all returned checks, plus loss of the bonus points.
5. Late Fees: Any team that falls two (2) weeks behind in paying their dues will be sent a warning notice stating that their team will be dropped from the League for non-payment of their dues. Any team that falls (3) weeks behind in paying dues may be dropped from the League for non-payment of their dues. Any team that falls (3) weeks behind may be required to pay their next opponent prior to the start of the next Match if the League deems it necessary to collect the late fees.
6. Payback Division payout structure: The collected monies separated by divisions with adjustments for dues owed will be distributed as follows: Most points during the regular League session = 20%, 1st place in playoffs = 40%, 2nd place in playoffs = 30%, 3rd place in playoffs 10%.
7. Make-Ups: If a team asks for a postponement, then the match must be made up within 2 weeks unless pre-approved by the League Office. The team that asked for the change must agree on the make-up date and location the other team chooses. Teams have until 3 hours before the scheduled match time to notify the opposing Team Captain of the postponement. There is no rescheduling during the last two weeks of the League schedule or during the playoffs without the prior approval of the League Office.
8. Forfeits: Due to schedule changes and new teams joining, there will be no forfeits in the first 4 weeks of play. Un-played matches will need to be rescheduled at the discretion of both teams. After the 4th week, if a team fails to show up for a match within 30 minutes of the scheduled match time, the opposing team will receive 10 points for 8-Ball (2 pts x 5 matches) and 75 points (15 pts x 5 matches) for 9-Ball. This does not include additional bonus points. If only one player shows from the opposing team, you will receive any points gained from the 1 game and the remaining games will be forfeited. If a team forfeits in the last 2 weeks of play they may lose their eligibility for post season play.
9. Byes: 8 points will be awarded for 8-Ball and 60 points for 9-Ball. This does not include any additional bonus points.
10. Bonus Points: 3 bonus points will be awarded each week for 8-Ball (1 for getting it in on time, 1 for completeness and 1 for weekly fees being up to date). 20 bonus points will be awarded for 9-Ball teams that have their envelopes postmarked by the day after League play and have the correct money, with a completed score sheet enclosed. Teams will be given a (1) day grace period if they fax, email or text your score sheets in the next day.
11. New Teams: The League Operator may add a new team to the League at any time. Teams that previously had BYE’s in the first 4 weeks may be required to make up matches after the reschedule. If a new team joins after week 4, the new team will receive the lowest point totals of the last place team.
12. Inclement Weather: If at any time a Team Captain feels it is unsafe to drive due to weather conditions, they may postpone their scheduled match. We recommend they contact the opposing Team Captain as early as possible to reschedule the match. It is up to the two Team Captains to agree on a new date and time to play the match. If the two Team Captains cannot agree on a date and time, within 2 weeks, the League Office must be contacted to set an official, rescheduled, date and time.
13. Age Requirement: The age required to join the APA is 18 years old. However, due to State and Local laws if a Host Location does not allow customers under 21 their restrictions must apply. It is the Team Captain of each team’s responsibility to verify the age of their players to be of legal age. Teams who play under age players without the written consent of the League will be subject to loss of all points and awards.
14. Ghost Rule: There may be times when teams may not have enough available players to field a full roster of 5 players. A player’s presence does not necessarily mean that the player is available since that player may not be available due to other potential obligations or maintaining the 23-Rule. The ghost rule allows for the opposing team to choose any one of the available players to play an additional game as long as that player does not put the team over the 23-Rule. Therefore, all players must remain available for the match being played as a ghost. If the opposing team chooses a player that played and is no longer available, then the match will be forfeited. The team using the ghost rule must declare that they may be using the ghost rule before the first match is started. They also must declare which players are available, which ones are not available and which ones may potentially become available. The ghost rule can only be used during weekly scheduled play and cannot be used during playoffs or post season tournaments. Use of the ghost rule will be limited to 6 ghost matches per session. Teams must have at least three players in order to use the ghost rule.
15. Equipment Provided Rule: The Equipment provided by the Host Location is considered to be the equipment that will be used for all matches. This equipment should be standard pocket billiards equipment. Both Team Captains can always agree to use certain regulation equipment if they like but if there is any question about what equipment is to be used the Host Location must be used for the whole match.
16. Sandbagging: Teams caught “sandbagging”, or caught sending falsified score sheets may be subject to one of the following (A) removal from the League (B) all members of the team will be raised one handicap level.
17. Breaking Down Cue Stick: This is not a loss of game, however it could end up as a sportsmanship violation.
18. Banned: If a player has been banned from a Host Location, the team must play without him/her when playing at that location.
19. Playoff Formats: For divisions with only 4 teams, the team with highest points will play the winner of the team with the second highest points vs. a wild card draw between 3rd and 4th.
20. Regional Team Tournaments:
At the end of each League year we will hold a Local Team Championship (LTC) to qualify teams to advance to APA World Pool Championship in Las Vegas. For each of 3 sessions (Summer, Fall, and Spring) we will hold a Tri-Cup qualifier for teams to advance to the LTC. Divisions with 12 or more teams will have a minimum of 3 teams represented at the Tri-Cup. Divisions with 8-11 teams will have a minimum of 2 teams and divisions with 5-7 teams will have a minimum of 1 team. If a team wins a regional twice, then the team they last defeated would then advance onto the state finals. We will also hold a Second Chance Tournament before the Tri-Cup to allow additional teams to qualify for the Tri-Cup. These teams will be chosen among teams that nearly qualified for playoffs and teams that lost their playoff matches. The criteria to qualify for Second Chance may vary based on the number of LTC spots available, time constraints, location availability and size of the division the team plays in.
21. 50% Rule Violators: Any Team that has qualified for the LTC and fails to meet the simple standard of placing in the top 50% of their current division may lose the privilege of taking part in the random draw for the LTC.
22. National Rules: Always supersede local bylaws in a higher level tournament.