NEW 8-Ball 3-Point Scoring System:
Additional Materials on poolplayers.com
Northeast Massachusetts APA Pool League Bylaws Middlesex/Essex Counties
P.O. Box 856, Billerica, MA 01821 Phone: 978-710-6403 Fax: 978-710-6502
Northeastmass.apaleagues.com for years 2011-2012 Sal Conti League Operator
1. Office Hours: 11:00 am – 5:00 pm. If you call and get our recording, please leave your name, number, and a short message and someone will get back to you, or call your Division Rep.
2. Make-Ups: If a team asks for a postponement, then the match must be made up within 2 weeks, and the team that asked for the change must agree on the make- up date the other team chooses.
3. Teams Sandbagging: Teams caught “sandbagging”, or caught sending falsified score sheets may be subject to one of the following (A) removal from the league (B) all members of the team will be raised one handicap level.
4. Byes: 4 points will be awarded for 8-ball and 80 points for 9-ball. This includes any bonus points.
5. Checks: please make checks out to the Northeast Ma. APA Pool League. There will be a $20.00 charge for all returned checks, plus loss of the bonus points.
6. Fees: There is a @40.00 per week ($50.00 for payback leagues) team fee for all scheduled matches regardless of forfeits, including playoff matches. There is no charge for byes, with the exception of the payback leagues, which pay $10.00 on these nights. All fees must be current for any team or player to enter the Session, Singles and doubles tournaments, Session Regional and state Championships and any other league sponsored event.
7. Payback Division payout structure: The collected monies separated by divisions with adjustments for dues owed will be distributed as follows: Most points during the regular league session = 20%, 1st place in playoffs = 40%, 2nd place in playoffs = 30%, 3rd place in playoffs 10%.
8. Bonus Point: One bonus point will be awarded each week for 8-ball and 20 points for 9-ball teams that have their envelopes postmarked by the day after league play and have the correct money, with a completed score sheet enclosed. Teams will be given a (1) day grace period if you fax your score sheets in the next day, or use overnight delivery. There will be no exceptions to this rule. If you lose your bonus point, please do not call and ask for your bonus point . Quick return of necessary items will make everyone’s experience better.
9. Late Fees: Any team that falls two (2) weeks behind in paying their dues will be sent a warning notice stating that their team will be dropped from the league for non-payment of their dues. Any team that falls (3) weeks behind in paying dues may be dropped from the league for non-payment of their dues. Any team that falls (3 ) weeks behind may be required to pay there next opponent prior to the start of the next Match if the league deems it necessary to collect the late fees.
10. Forfeits: If a team fails to show up for a match, the opposing team will be receive 4 points for 8-ball and 75 points for 9-ball. Also, 1 bonus point for 8-ball and 20 bonus points for 9-ball will be given for mailing their paperwork and dues in on time. If possible, we will try to schedule make-up matches during the first two weeks of play for teams that played against a no show team. If only one player shows from the opposing team, you will get4 points and you will receive an extra point if your player wins the match. On the last two weeks of the session, if a team forfeits the entire match or more, they will not be eligible for a wildcard draw.
11. Last Two Week Forfeit: Any team that forfeits their match during the last two weeks of a session maybe suspended from the league. If the team that does forfeit is a qualified team for higher level of play, they could possibly lose their eligibility.
12. Forfeit Time: A team match is forfeited if no players show up by 30 minutes after the scheduled time indicated on the score sheet.
13. Player ID’s: League members must have a picture ID with them when playing in the league. Any player may request to see a player’s ID for verification. . Just before the match, or just after, is the proper time to request the ID. Any team that plays under a false name will have their team’s points lowered to one less than the last place team in their division and not eligible for the wild card draw that session. Their opponents will receive all points won plus 1 point for 8-ball, 15 points for 9-ball and for any match involving an illegal player
14. Regional Qualifier Tournament: At the end of each session we will have a tournament called the Regional Qualifier Tournament for all division playoff winners. From the playoffs of the divisions that have 7 or less teams, will send the first place to the regional, 8-11 teams will send first and second, 12 or more teams will sent first, second, and third. The winners of these tournaments will then advance onto the Northeaster Massachusetts State Finals in June. If a team wins a regional twice, then the team they last defeated would then advance onto the state finals.
15. Ties: In the playoffs, if a match ends up with “two to two tie”, and neither team has an eligible player, then the team that won two of the first three matches will be declared the winner. If two teams are tied at the end of the year, and they have not played each other, the team who did the best on the last week of play would be the winner. If there is still a tie, then the team who got the most points the week before would be the winner, etc.
16. New Teams: The league operator may add a new team to the league at any time. The new team will receive the lowest point totals of the last place team or a “standard” average of 3 points for each week the team would have played.
17. Inclement Weather: During bad weather (snow, sleet, etc), the away teams should inform the home teams of a possible delay. Matches will be rescheduled and must be made up within 2 weeks. Two or more inches of snow is considered inclement weather, however icy conditions could also qualify. Severe weather conditions or travel advisory warnings are good enough reason for rescheduling team matches. Please contact the league office with the time and date of the rescheduled.
18. Protests: All protests must be in writing and include a $25.00 protest fee. Protests will be resolved by the Board of Governors. The team who wins the protest will receive their $25.00 fee back. The League operator may waive the protest fee. The Board of Governors is made up of Divisions Representatives.
19. Banned: If a player has been banned from a host location, the team must play without him/her when playing at that location.
20. Picking: Once both players have been picked, they cannot be changed; however there is one exception. If the balls have not been broken, a team can change the player to prevent themselves from going over the “23” rule. This is the only reason you can change your player. At this time the other team may change their player if they wish to.
21. Breaking Down Cue Stick: This is not a loss of game, however it could end up as a sportsmanship violation.
22. 23 Rule: A team must write down on the score sheet if the opposing team goes over the 23 limit and you MUST make the opposing team aware of this violation before you leave the match site.
23. National Rules: Always supersede local bylaws in a higher level tournament.
24. Playoff Formats: Playoffs will be two weeks. The first week, the team with the most points plays the wild card team and the team with the second most points will play the team that has the third most points for the session. After that, the two winning teams play for the first and second and the other two teams play for third and fourth. Trophies are awarded to all the players on the first place division team’s roster. In 4 team divisions for week one of playoffs: 1st place gets a bye, 2nd place plays wild card draw between 3rd and 4th, then that winner plays the team that got the most points.
25. Drop Outs: Any team dropping out or being suspended from the league forfeits all benefits, trophies, or other awards.
26. Rescheduled Matches: must be made up within (2) two weeks of the original match, unless pre approved by the League Office. If not made up within two weeks, zero points will be awarded to both teams. The league office must be notified by both teams of any rescheduled matches at least 48 hours ( 2 days ) in advance. Weekly fees will be due for these matches. There is no rescheduling during the last two weeks of the league. Schedule or during the playoffs. The only way to rescheduling the last two weeks of the league session is to play them in advance with league approval. If you are the team asking for a rescheduling, then you must be willing to go to the opposing team’s location to play the match if requested.
27. Age Requirement: The age required to join the APA is 18 years old. However, due to State and Local laws if a host location does not allow customers under 21 there restrictions must apply. It is the Captain of each team’s responsibility to verify the age of their players to be of legal age. Teams who play under age players without the written consent of the league will be subject to loss of all points and awards.
28. Ghost Rule: There may be times when a team cannot provide five players in a match. On these occasions a team can have the opposing team choose one of their players to play again. This player is called the “Ghost player”. The intent of the Ghost player is to give the opposing player a match. The Ghost rule can only be used during weekly play and not during playoffs and higher level tournaments. Teams must have at least 3 players to use the ghost rule and all players must be available at the time of selection for the Ghost player. You cannot select a player that would force the original team to break the 23 rule. If a player is selected for the Ghost player and in not available to play then it is a forfeit. The ghost player pays for the second match they play. The team using the ghost rule must announce their intention to use the rule before the first match is played. If a request to use the rule is made into thematch it can be refused. All players who have already played need to be available to pick from.
29. 50% Rule Violators: Any Team that has Qualified for the LTC and fails to meet the simple standard of placing in the top 50% of their current division will lose the privilege of taking part in the random draw For the LTC. Rather they will be matched up against other teams that have not finished in the top 50% or the next closest team. The League Operator will decide who plays who for these teams. This Option allows the League Operator an additional level to Host a Fair LTC.
30. Equipment Provided Rule: The Equipment provided by the host location is considered to be the equipment that will be used for all matches. This equipment should be regulation Pocket Billiards equipment. Any questionable equipment should be evaluated by the League Operator and APA National if necessary prior to being used. Equipment includes but is not limited to Cue balls, Object balls, triangle racks, chalk, bridge sticks and house cues. Two captains can always agree to use certain regulation equipment if they like but if there is any question about what equipment is to be used the host location must be used for the whole match.
31. LTC Qualified Teams: Must stay Active during the Summer session they intend to play in the LTC and NTC. A Teams players handicap levels are more accurate and teams are better prepared to play at the national level if they stay playing league.
THESE BYLAWS HAVE BEEN LAST APPROVED THE THE AMERICAN POOLPLAYERS ASSOCIATION 5/1/12